Stephen on Pole, High stars in GTC2
Engen Xtreme Audi GTC driver Michael Stephen kept his relentless championship pursuit intact as he took en extra point off Sasol GTC Championship leader Gennaro Bonafede when he beat the Sasol BMW driver to second on the grid for Saturday’s Volkswagen Race Day GTC races at the Aldo Scribante Race Track Friday afternoon.
Local hero Stephen sits second behind Johannesburg driver Bonafede in the premier race championship standings and every point is crucial with the two expected to fight another battle of the championship war over two races at Port Elizabeth. Stephen was 0.4 quicker in qualifying.
Another home hero, Simon Moss will start third in the second Engen Xtreme Audi GTC with Michael van Rooyen an impressive fourth in his RSC BMW GTC and fellow BMW privateer Johan Fourie next up in his EPS Courier Services version. Robert Wolk (Sasol BMW GTC) and Volkswagen Motorsport Jetta duo Daniel Rowe and Mathew Hodges are next up on the grid.
Christopher Shorter scored his maiden Sasol GTC2 class pole position in his Champion Mini JCW ahead of sensational local debutant Bryn High (S&K Diesels/Brights Chevrolet Cruze). GTC2 championship leader Keagan Masters (Volkswagen Motosport Golf GTI) was next up from Charl Smalberger (iCorp Volkswagen Parts LTR Golf GTI), the second Ferodo Mini of Bradley Liebenberg, Trevor Bland (TB Racing Volkswagen Golf 7 GTI), Mandla Mdakane (Volkswagen Motosport Golf GTI), with the top seven on the GTC2 grid split by just two tenths of a second.
Port Elizabeth Qualifying - Sasol GTC
1. Michael Stephen (Engen Xtreme Audi GTC) 1:03.965
2. Gennaro Bonafede (Sasol BMW GTC) 1:04.382
3. Simon Moss (Engen Xtreme Audi GTC) 1:04.388
4. Michael van Rooyen (RSC BMW GTC) 1:04.526
5. Johan Fourie (EPS Courier Services, BMW) 1:04.681
6. Robert Wolk (Sasol BMW GTC) 1:04.688
7. Daniel Rowe (Volkswagen Motorsport Jetta) 1:05.121
8.Mathew Hodges (Volkswagen Motorsport Jetta) 1:05.183
1. Christopher Shorter (Champion Mini JCW) 1:09.663
2. Bryn High (S&K Diesels/Brights Chevrolet Cruze) 1:09.664
3. Keagan Masters (Volkswagen Motosport Golf GTI) 1:09.710
4. Charl Smalberger (iCorp Volkswagen Parts LTR Golf GTI) 1:09.745
5. Bradley Liebenberg (Ferodo Mini JCW) 1:09.808
6. Trevor Bland (TB Racing Volkswagen Golf 7 GTI) 1:09.825
7. Mandla Mdakane (Volkswagen Motosport Golf GTI) 1:09.852
8. Iain Stevenson (Comsol Volkswagen Golf 6 GTI) 1:10.438